Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Sunday 9 October 2005

Run Common Run

I would never ever have thought that I would even be a runner. I have never liked running and I have never been able to run. I have found it boring pointless, and moreover I just couldn't do it, after 2 blocks I would be a wheezing wreck... so who would guess that it would take a suspected broken toe to turn me into a runner?

My toe is still in pain after catching it on the bed over 3 weeks ago now. I can still not wear my new fancy tackies or most closed shoes and even walking is still vaguely painful, so my usual activities and the V-fit class I was so enjoying went right out of the window, as it involves a lot of jumping, and more importantly balance, and I have to tread cautioiusly on my in-step so as not to get shooting pains up my little toe. Worse is that will going away to Montreal soon my exercise routine will be out the window for 3 weeks over that time anyway, and I really didn;t want to extend that to some 8 weeks. I may have to get a new bigger wardrobe, as winter already took it's toll on my wasitline.

Anyway having found that I could squeeze into my older tackies and walk to fetch the kids from school, I then found I could do a shuffling jog as well (if I took care to plant each step carefully). I then discovered that with this shuffling run (instead of mad uncoordinated 'I am being chased by a werewolf' gallop) I could cover distance and not get tired or lose my breath. This was a revelation for me, and I found I can actually ENJOY running. Throw in my new fancy MP3 player and suddenly I am a runner.

I have been consciously running for 2 weeks now and have been recording my distances.

week 1 total - 27km
week 2 total - 37km

I can run from my house to the Rondebosch common and twice around and back now, that's 7km.

I actually wake up in the morning wanting to go for a run now...I can't believe it, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment