Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Monday 29 May 2006

Madonna's Bra

On Saturday we went to a charity auction at a friend's house. They held a similar event last year, which we really enjoyed.

The idea is that someone hosts a dinner, where all the guests pay a fee to attend. The said friend is a stunning cook, and I would gladly pay for one of her dinners any time. You then also need to make something to take along to get auctioned off after dinner.

Many of the people in this social circle are very arty, so the competition is strong. Artifacts range from oil paintings, to lamps, to beaded hand-bags and mosaics. Last year I made a 'Pamper Box' filled with goodies like home-made lavender balt-salts, a massager, lotions, candles and a towel. This year I made a lingerie box.

There were about 30 guests this year, and after a good dinner of various curries and salads, followed by the most delicious desserts ever and generous quantities of alcohol the bidding was intense and many of the items fetched quite tidy sums.

I was battling to get my paws on anything despite some quite competitive bidding on my part, until this....

Can you believe I managed to pick up this priceless collector's item, for only R60?
'Bra left at my house by Madonna when we were seeing each other in 2002. Swilly.'

For the record it seems she is a size 34A. :)

I also got 2 jars of chilli for Richard.

The final tally for the evening was close to R6500! The proceeds will go to a small local township pre-school in Masepumalele, which caters for 85 children with very little means.

The evening was great fun.

1 comment:

  1. Now then, I hate to say it, but the origins could be a bit iffy, y'know? Who's Swilly? That total lesbo spacker chick wot has had it orf wiv Madge?

    'm not bovvered!

    ReplyDelete