Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Sunday 20 May 2007

Make that 3 babies in 24 hours.

Holy cow, there is a baby boom on in Cape Town this week-end.

After last night's post I jokingly sms'ed a friend (who I was going to be doulaing for) and who was 39.5 weeks pregnant and who has been waiting for her baby to come saying, 'Hey do you want to have your baby tonight? I have already been at 2 births today, let's make it 3... Smile'

She replied saying funny I should mention it, but she thought she was having contractions...!

We were babysitting for friends and they were also sleeping over after their outing, and so we had a busy evening. Plus one of the kids woke up vomiting at 10pm. So even though I was exhausted after the day at the hospital I was kept wide awake due to circumstances...

At 11pm I was about to go to bed when I got an sms from the friend saying she was having regular contractions, and thought it was really happening. I advised her to rest and/or sleep as long as possible. Knowing I needed at least a bit of rest... but I was still wide awake.

At 12am the friends came back and parked me in. I asked them to leave their car keys out so I could move their car if I had to....

I went to sleep at about 12:15 I guess. At 1:30am I got called by her DH to go to the hospital. I got dressed, made a flask of coffee, moved the car around and set off at 01:50. It was a long drive in the pouring rain and flooded roads all the way to Fish Hoek.

My friend needed a lot of support, and had a very intense labour, but she laboured really well stayed up and active the whole time. She gave birth at 7:35 this morning to a baby girl!

I think I know how dads feel now, when you leave exhausted, but with so much energy!

I am home now.

Wow 3 babies in 24 hours!

It was awesome being there. I am blessed.
I just got home and my boys were watching a DVD, they said, 'Hey, where were you?' and when I told them K's baby was born they just BEAMED. Awwww! Wink Wink Wink

2 comments:

  1. I'm and SO happy for you Jane!! I know how badly you have been wanting to do this. This is just wonderful. Congratulations to your friend too!!! How exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear throug the tone of this entry you are simply glowing!!!
    You going into this full time??? It seems to be your calling!

    ReplyDelete