Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Monday 9 July 2012

This might sound weird...

But I seem to have developed 'Jewish envy' recently.

My on-line friend in JHB Jeanette is a photographer, and I follow her blog, and she's done a lot of Barmis and Batis in the last while. I have to say that Jewish family, tradition, custom and closeness just looks incredible. I am not even sure I can imagine what that must be like.... it seems really nice though. It must be really nice feeling like you have a place and 'fit' somewhere. Growing up as a white, English, middle-class, atheist with a very small extended family I seem to have no discernible culture or identity. I kinda wish I had something that made me feel bonded to tradition. I have tried to start some minor family traditions with the boys, but they still involve just the 3 of us. I'd like to be part of a bigger network and support group...

Anyway this is her latest Barmi
http://www.jeanetteverster.com/2012/07/chads-bar-mitzvah-at-capri-hotel/

I really liked the rehersal pics, they are so emotive and heavy with meaning and significance.
http://www.jeanetteverster.com/2012/07/chads-bar-mitzvah-rehearsal-photoshoot/

Do you have that sort of thing in your life? Do you fit in??

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that I grew up in a church and feel happy there as the church has evolved with me. But I do love both Jewish and Catholic traditions though

    ReplyDelete