Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Thursday 10 July 2014

Goodness and Graciousness

Quinn is going on a scout snow hike this week-end. He obviously needs proper bad weather gear for this, and due to growing about 4 or more shoe sizes in like a year (ok maybe 2), he now wears a size 10 shoe and doesn't have very many. He has running shoes, but nothing sturdy or waterproof, so we had to get him some decent hiking boots...

Having had a look at Cape Union Mart I discovered that would cost anywhere from R1000 to a LOT more. Yikes.

So I took a look on Gumtree and found what looked like a perfect pair of New Balance suede leather hiking boots in Size 10 advertised for R250! (They had apparently been advertised for higher initially, but the price had been brought down). They are second hand but never worn, as they did not fit the owner, who'd apparently got them as a gift from his son.

We need them by tonight and they were in Simon's Town, which is quite a way away and not a quick or easy journey... and I am working full time. We had 2 days to make a plan. The boys are on holiday though... So I contacted the seller and I told him I'd pop my boys on the train so Q could go try them on and buy them if they fitted him. 

He very kindly offered to drive through to Fishhoek to make it quicker and easier for them. As only every second or 3rd train goes right through to Simon's Town and there's only one returning about once every hour.

He met them there on Tuesday afternoon around lunchtime and was so sweet and kind and interested in the hike and scouts etc. Quinn loved the shoes and bought them for the agreed R250. Apparently they had a good chat about scouts, school and the area Quinn will be hiking in etc. The man then gave them R50 back for lunch or ice-cream or whatever. So they only actually paid him R200 in the end! 

Quinn made a point of telling me all about him and how nice and kind he'd be so I could thank him. I mailed him yesterday to express gratitude and let him know that I knew the shoes were a major bargain (and had saved me LOADS of money already) and thanks for his incredibly kind and generous gesture to the boys, but now I feel I haven't paid a fair price and can I reimburse the 'bonus' he gave the boys back to him..? He was so sweet about it and said he just felt compelled to 'reward' them for being so happy, courteous and friendly to him. He said 'Their beaming smiles were reward enough for my wife and I'. I was so touched by it, and of course proud of my boys too. It may be a small thing but it's really warmed my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment