Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Wednesday 28 December 2005

The Year that was....

Reflecting back on the year 2005, and wow what a year it has been for me. A *LOT* has happened. Does everyone feel they are getting more and more stressed and stretched to the limit each year? or is it just me?

It started when I thought I was going to be retrenched from CSC, when they dissolved our division. Miraculously at the last minute they decided to keep me and renew my contract - but I had already started looking for a new job by then...


During Jan 2005 we moved to our new house. although our plot is a bit smaller than before, the house is much bigger. We have enjoyed the new house a lot and like having the extra space so we are not all in each other's hair all the time. The boys still share a bedroom, but it's about twice the size of their old one, so they have space to play in there now, and don't have to lug their toys all over the house (although they often still do!). Also this house has cupboards! So things can be packed away.YAY!


In January the boys are started at their new pre-school Keurboom. Quinn was in Grade R/0 and Griffin in the 3-4 year old group. Both settled in well and enjoyed their year there. They adapted well and made lots of friends, and had lovely teachers.
Richard's parent came to stay with us for 2 weeks early in the year. It was good to see them, and although Richard and I had to work through that time, the boys really enjoyed having Granny and Grandpa with us. They especially love it when Granny reads stories to them.

A short time after that Catherine and her boys Stephen(9) and Thomas(6) came to stay with us. It was lovely to see them. My boys love their cousins - although they did drive each other mad at times. It's a pity we don't get to see each other more often. It was really lovely having
them here and the boys talk about them ALL the time still. Especially the fact that they got so excited to see the sea they rushed in fully clothed! (Silly Vaalies!- oh wait that's Gauties now...)

In February I was approached by a recruitment agent saying a position had come up with on of Mark Shuttleworth's companies, and was I interested in applying? It sounded interesting, so I did apply. When it came to the interview I was astounded that the interview was with Mark himself (who was in town from London at the time)! The rest, as they say, is history and I joined Canonical, and started on 30 March. I have been working on the Ubuntu and Edubuntu projects since.

It has been quite an adjustment figuring out how to work with people in 20 different countries, across 24 time zones! Nearly all our interaction is on-line and much of it through IRC. I have an office at the Shuttleworth Foundation building in Durbanville, but spend about half my time working from home,and often at odd hours too. We have meetings scheduled at 10pm and once a month a 4am meeting!

The job is very consuming, demanding and stressful, but on the whole it is stimulating and exciting, and I must say I am enjoying being involved in something which feels right and which we all believe in. It's also an honour to be working with such bright and talented people.


Richard has continued working for HP, and spent less time traveling that in the past 2 years, he did have several trips to Johannesburg though and a trip to Uganda as part of the NEPAD e-schools project where he met the Ugandan president and was given VIP treatment. He also went to an HP
conference outside Geneva.

In May Quinn and Richard travelled to Durban for Richard's 25th high school reunion (25 years since he left school! *boggle*). Quinn was very excited to be going on a plane trip, and seemed to have a wonderful time, including a visit to the bird sancuary. He also got to see his cousin Jessica, whom he adores.


I have travelled a lot this year, as due to Canonical's distributed nature we need to travel get together every few months to collaborate in person, and plan the activities for the next few months. I went to Sydney first in April/May, where I met the whole team at the 'Ubuntu Down Under' conference. It was fun but VERY tiring and hard work. It's a strange and motley crew, but I seem to fit in.

In early June Mark, Oliver and I travelled to Bergen, Norway for a week-end to meet with the Skolelinux guys. Mark wanted us to create an education focused version of Ubuntu called Edubuntu, and I was asked to project manage it, and Oliver is the lead developer.

Just after I got back from that I left for Newcastle (the one in KZN South Africa not the UK!) to join Bee and Adrian for the last week of Bee's pregnancy, and then the birth of her baby. I felt VERY privileged to be included in those last few special days of pregnancy and then particularly to be with them both while Belinda laboured. That was phenomenal. I really enjoyed the experience of being on the other side and being able to offer support and encouragement. I still have a lingering dream to become a mid-wife :)

Belinda handled her labour very well, and stayed relaxed but focused on what she was doing. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to be with them for the actual birth, but Bee and Adrian where champs and Belinda managed to surprise everyone by producing a really large baby! Alastair Henry wasby far the biggest and most beautiful baby in the hospital. :)


Alastair has just turned turned 6 months old and I am so proud of them all. Especially Bee who has been an absolute natural at everything! Well done! I just wished we didn't live so far apart so we could see them more.


I rushed back home after that, and 2 days later left for London to our inaugural Edubuntu Summit, to design and plan the Edubuntu release.


In August Belinda and baby Alastair came to stay with us. That was wonderful. Again the boys were thrilled to be able to see a cousin and immediately feel in love with Alastair and have declared him their 'Best Cousin' (probably partially because he can't hit back yet!). Unfortunately I was swamped with work and on the verge of a nervous break down, so didn't get to spend nearly enough time with Bee. She was amazing as ever and people could believe Alastair was her first child since she was acting so experienced with him, and he was only 5 weeks old.

Thankfully after that I had a couple months at home, but unfortunately not to rest, as there was loads of work to do to get Ubuntu and Edubuntu released in October. 10 days later we all set off to Montreal for 2 weeks for Ubuntu Below Zero, to create more work! Montreal was really nice, because we spread the schedule out a little bit and had some recreational time, so it was less frenetic than Sydney, and I knew the team already. It was a nice combination between hard work and good fun, and I actually got to see some of Montreal, unlike Sydney.


Once I got back it was Griffin's birthday - he turned 4, school concerts, Christmas concerts and parties, Grade R dinners etc etc.
Quinn has now Graduated from Grade R and starts big school in Grade 1 at Rondebosch Boys Prep school in January after he turns 6. He is excited and a little nervous about that. Griffin moves up a year, but will still be at Keurboom.

Richard will have been married for 8 years in January. It's been a long uphill road, but it actually seems to be levelling off now ;)


I will be heading to London again at the end of January for another pow-wow... so 2006 looks like it will be busy too... I think I am getting used to it!

I remember my resolution for 2005 was to rush less but do more. I certainly did more, but I think I rushed more too.


So that's the concise version of what's gone on this year. If I was not very good at staying in touch with many people this year I am sorry! I hope you all had a wonderful year.

As New Year and 2006 approaches, I have decided my resolution for 2006 is to stay young at heart and to remeber to have fun - often.

Here's the start....

No comments:

Post a Comment