Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Monday 28 August 2006

Le week-end part 1

Last week I managed to fit in some exercise each day, and it was great.

On Friday afternoon I even upgraded my gym memebership to Premier, so I can now go to any VA club in the country (except the uber-larny Melrose Arch Club in Johannesburg which is reserved for the rich and famous). Then I left work and planned to get home a little early, change and run to Quinn's rugby practice. Where I was going to meet up with the family, watch the practice and then run home again. Alas the Friday traffic was the worst I have ever seen it, and it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to cover the 12km home. It was not pleasant at all!

I got home after the practice ended and feeling like I had run a marathon. Gah! Also I was disapointed to find my new MP3 player still NOT there waiting for me. Waaaah, where is it damnit!? So the thought of heading off immediately on a run was not a welcome one and I decided to have some tea first.


While I was having my tea I decided to go through our CD collection to see if we have any any suitable running soundtracks. Anything with a fast beat works for me, but if I LIKE the song too thats a big bonus and increases my speed and endurance a lot. It seems kind of Pavlovian now that I think about it... Anyway I found some cool stuff. I had forgotten about a lot of the music I have, especially the cool stuff Napster gave me in 2001 & 2002 (Shhhhh!). So I got into making a list of what I wanted to copy for the new MP3 player - assuming it will arrive one day. The list got quite long and I was enjoying listening to snippets which brought back all sorts of memories, and next thing Richard was asking me to turn off the racket so he could watch something on TV. It was 19:30 and pitch dark. So no run then.

Quinn had gone out to sleep at a friend's house so Rich, Griff and I snuggled on the couch and watched TV.

On Saturday we had to get to Quinn's rugby tournament at SACS at 08:30. We were to meet him there. I had woken up early enough so I decided it would be nice to run to SACS, I set off at 08:20 and got there at 08:45. Wow it was HOT on Saturday! I was expecting it to be chilly, but I was panting and sweating profusely by the time I got there. The weather was stunning though. Richard had arrived at just after 08:30 only to discover we were meant to be there at 08:00! Oops. It was fine though, because a) Quinn was there on time anyway as I arrived with the other family, and b) He wasn't playing in the first game. It was the last tournament of the season and the 2 games Quinn played were great. It is amazing to see how these little boys have progressed throughout the season, and they are really playing well. They drew aainst Reddam in their first game and beat SACS 7-2 in the second, both were the toughest games they have played, with the defending team defending strongly. Making their team's season total of 7 wins, 1 draw and 0 defeats, which is damn good!

After the game the boys went off home with Richard while I went to finish my run. I ran a bit but when my ailing old MP3 player's battery died I opted for brisk walking instead, especially since it was getting quite hot by then. I walked via the Rondebosch Sportsman's Warehouse, where I collected my Race Number for Sunday's Blisters for Bread charity walk, and then headed home, after a total mileage of 8km for the day, just in time to shower and then hit the road. We were going through to see our friends in Kommetjie to braai and watch the Springbok rugby. The drive over the mountain was lovely on such a perfect day.

Our friends have just signed up as foster parents, and took delivery of their first baby 2 weeks ago. So we got to meet him when we arrived. He was abandoned by his prostitute mother and found in a public toilet at just a day or 2 old. They got him at 6 days old. He is the most precious thing! At now 3 weeks old he weighs just 3kgs (my kids were 50% heavier than that at birth!) and is perfect, with beautiful light brown skin. There was not a single thing wrong with him, and he had neither alcohol or drug withdrawal after birth. (He will be tested for HIV status at 6 weeks.) I can not imagine discarding a baby (or kitten, or mouse or anything, in fact when Richard dropped some of our almost invisible newly hatched silk worms I painstakingly retrieved them all, and was worried I may have missed some!), doing that must haunt you forever.

Our friends will be looking after him for up to 6 months until a suitable permanent home can be found for him. He is so calm and content. I held him and bottle fed him, and he is the most easy going baby I have met. Really cute.

After the rugby game (which I didn't watch at all - my son wasn't playing after all- and which we had to relocate to a local pub for after the DsTV died), we headed back home over the mountains. To meet Tiny back home, to hand over the kids and get ready for a night out. I decided to make it a bit saucy and chose to wear stockings, suspenders & corset etc under a tightish and quite short dress. That made a change from my usual jeans and a shirt!

We went off the Wang Thai in Greenpoint for dinner because I had won a R250 voucher to eat there after filling in a comment slip at the Asian Kitchen when we ate there. The dinner was YUMMY. I had Litchi Duck Curry, and Richard had Angry Beef, we also had a nice bottle of Merlot. We shared a coconut cake with coconut ice-cream afterwards. It was really good. After dinner we weren't quite ready to go home so we ended up at Oblivion in Kenilworth for a drink. It was a little loud and young and the music was actually pretty bad, but other than that it was nice. We had fun watching people and commenting on their outfits, and watching the inibriated singles flirting, which is rather funny! One woman just looked WAY scary. She must have been at LEAST 35, possibly more and she was wearing a short short school girl skirt and tight white top. Instead of looking sexy, she just looked skanky and bad. Whereas she could look really attractive and appealing, as she hasa great body, she just looked like a cheap prostitute.

After our drinks we went home ...

3 comments:

  1. ha! i am glad your story ended there miss suspenders!!! I bet the skank at Oblivion was enough to tickle the tastebuds, and Richard wanted some 'skank' of his own....lol!
    I will stop right there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I can't imagine just abandoning something..let alone a little helpless child. It's awesome that your friends are being foster parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good heavens! you're [age deleted by tact chip] years old! why are you hanging out with skanks?

    that being said I found this deliciously dirty little place called Fire, in Vauxhall where they host 'Rude Boys' nights on Thursdays....I'll just mention that one of their facilities is called the Scally Alley...

    ReplyDelete