Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Friday 24 July 2009

And the award goes to...

I had my performance appraisal at work almost 2 months ago. It went very well and I was given a nice performance based bonus and 5% increase at the time. I was thrilled! Having been a contractor for 10 years previously bonuses were unheard of and increases are generally pretty sparse too, and especially in this financial climate I was really over the moon about it. I had just been happy with finally having paid leave and sick leave here, and frankly just HAVING a job right now was my main priority with the recent retrenchments . I wasn't even expecting an increase...

I really like working here. It is a great company and has an excellent balance between fun, and challenging, and it is interesting enough without being too all consuming and stressful. It really is a perfect fit for me right now and where I am in my life and with my kids. I almost never wake up not wanting to go to work, and the days I do are only because I am sick and/or tired, not because I don't want to be here. I know I am very lucky in this and I don't take it for granted.

I am the IT Team Leader & Project Manager and I am also on the social committee. 1.5 days ago I was told I had to quickly arrange braai function for lunch time today - for 110 people! Apparently they wanted to announce some awards and wanted to make it a bit more festive by giving everyone lunch and a bit of a social. We have been VREK busy in IT this week though with one disaster after the next, so I quickly delegated most of the stuff and got on with my own job and all the crises we have been having.

Anyway, so a short while ago we were having the braai. I decided to go out for a bit to see how it was going, because the weather is good, else I would have stayed working. The director gathered everyone together to make the announcements for our 6-monthly company awards. He announced the winner of the shield for the Best SA Sales Person for the past 6 months, and it was someone from the Forex Team, and then he said and, "The award for Best SA Operations person, is ... someone in IT again..." and it was ME!

I can not believe it! :D :D :D :D That was totally unexpected!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah well done Jane.
    You are an excellent worker, I remember how hard you worked at 12Plein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say we're suprised that you are the best. But what a cool unexpected award. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moaning Myrtle28 July 2009 at 17:44

    Congrats! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats wonderful! And you nearly weren't even there!

    ReplyDelete