Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 16 November 2010

The mind that is too ready at contempt and reprobation

"The mind that is too ready at contempt and reprobation is, I may say, as a clenched fist that can give blows, but is shut up from receiving and holding ought that is precious." ~ GEORGE ELIOT, Felix Holt

Although I am trying to be gracious and full of gratitude etc at the moment and not dwell on the negative, this annoyed me somewhat on Sunday.

I had come back from the Goldfish outing happy and sun-kissed but somewhat exhausted. Being broken and on crutches is surprisingly tiring! So although I am doing far less than usual physically. I tire much more easily.

I am not a fan of my ex mother in law at the best of times (I don't think anyone is, not even her own children like her).

Anyway she phoned on Sunday evening I assume to speak to Griffin. I was in the bath and asked G to ask her to call back in 20 mins. She never did so I sucked it up and phoned her. She is always uptight and disgruntled and exasperated by something so right off the bat I said sorry I'd been bathing and it's a bit of a mission right now so couldn't talk then. She asked if something is wrong and I told her I had a broken ankle. She says oh, and moves right along. Didn't interest her. Then I told her it was bad timing because it interfered with Griffin's birthday plans.

So she says oh has she missed his birthday?? I was like YES, it was on Friday!

So she says oh no Friday was a 'VERY bad day' for her. Because she has take food to ex Father in Law, and she goes 'EVERY DAY you know'. *BIG SIGH* (Note she does not have to do this, it is her choice to entirely, but LOVES being a martyr) And she feeds him (he has Parkinson's AND Alzheimer's, and frankly I think he hates her, and with due cause). But *BIG SIGH* he sometimes spills food and makes a mess, 'oh, I tell you!' so she takes a cloth to put on his lap. *BIG SIGH* And on Friday it was just so bad he picked up the cloth and put it on his head and smiled and said it was his hat. *DRAMATIC GASP* I laughed cos I thought it was pretty funny. And she was sighing and groaning and acting like it was the end of the bloody world. I mean really!? Is that REALLY so bad?? Especially since it sounds like the poor long suffering guy was just trying to have a bit of fun!

I told her that 'Frankly that could be seen as amusing and animated not terribly BAD.' And she just signed and groaned some more and rang off, clearly pissed off that I was not sympathetic to how awful her life is. But everything to her is a huge drama and issue and inconvenience. She never smiles, never has fun and never lets anyone else have fun. I am so sick of her and really don't want anything to do with her anymore.

She didn't say a word about G's birthday or wish him. And she is all irked now too that we are going away for Christmas to MY family for the first time ever, and now she subsequently arranged to come down here for Christmas (to be with her daughter etc mainly). But *BIG SIGH* now we won't be here.

I am not interested in her and her little negative world anymore.

My world is a fun and happy place where problems are dealt with and then forgotten. I refuse to live in misery and negativity. What a waste and what a chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment