Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Sunday 19 April 2009

There is a sacredness in tears.

I don't cry often or much. But when I do it's because I have been really moved to, and it's significant - to me anyway. I have often been made to feel embarrassed or ashamed of having cried. For being weak, silly or fallible.

But I believe what is said below:

“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.”

Washington Irving

I think crying shows you care, you are not dead inside. You feel, you hurt, you love, you are ALIVE!

I have not cried for a while again. I have no need to right now. But next time I do feel moved to cry I will not be ashamed of it.

2 comments:

  1. JANE!!!! That quote moved me!!

    I tend to cry alot - when I am sad, angry, happy - its sometimes an involuntary thing!!

    If I see somene else cry that makes me cry too!

    I am odd like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry allot.... I'm like Laura. I cry if I am happy or sad or thinking or or or... and yes, I am also get to feel stupid and weak for doing so.

    I try and keep my tears private to the best of my ability.

    ReplyDelete