Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 24 March 2009

Angelique's Party

It was Angelique's birthday yesterday. She would have been 11 years old...

The boys and I had a little party after dinner to 'celebrate' and remember her. We each had a candle to blow out and took a moment to say something meaningful to each other.


In case you don't know her story is HERE

This year was the most difficult anniversary for me. I usually have something good and positive and hopeful to focus on. This year I didn't, there doesn't seem to be any positive spin on it.
Even last year, when things were at a very low point, we went up the mountain together and I was led to believe it would all be ok, and that I was ok, and it was all meant to be etc.

The whole foundation of belief and meaning I had built around it has been shattered. It was not real. Or not in the way I believed it to be anyway.

It was just a shit thing to happen. Which hurt like hell and still does.

I have also realised just recently that I have no soft place to land anywhere. I have always thought I was strong because I just was, I now realise it's because I HAVE to be. It's hard to explain. But part of me wants to be able to be weak, scared, fallible and vulnerable. Just for that to be an option sometimes...

8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Jane! I had no idea! What a heart breaking thing to go through!

    What a wonderful idea to celebrate though!

    And your last paragraph - I get that! I have felt it! Three years down the line (post divorce) and for the first time I am feeling all those things ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A soft place to land - yes, too many of us lack that.

    Its not always fun to be strong and to run with wolves. Sometimes we want the option, even if just an option, of a soft place.

    I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been another year. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are handling everything better than I probably would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. I really appreciate your continuous support and encouragement. It helps to keep me going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read Angelique's story before, but I cried again today reading it. I am so sorry.

    We all want that soft place to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a tragic story and unfortunately all too familiar for many of our mothers at Bosom Buddies. I think it is very special how you celebrate her birthday with her brothers. Sorry you have to do this alone, the worst part of being a single parent is the extreme lows and the extreme highs and not being able to share them. Love. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Jane I never knew!!! My heart is aching and my tears are flowing for you my friend. :( :(

    ReplyDelete