Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Friday 22 August 2008

Egg Donor update : Scans, Bums & Needles

Just got back from my scan at the gynae.

Both ovaries have about 4-5 eggies growing nicely in them and all looks good and on-track so far.
I had to have 2 jabs, one in each bum cheek while I was there. One was to stop my from ovulating prematurely and the other I can't actually remember what it does but something to do with growing the eggs....

I had been a bum-jab-virgin up until 30 minutes ago. I had always thought bum jabs were excruciatingly painful (I'm not sure where I got that idea from? Probably the movies, where you also learn that birth is a screaming, cursing, lying on your back with your legs in the air affair, which it also totally WASN'T... but I digress), and it really wasn't to bad at all. The jab part was easy. The one med burned a bit, the other itches. But nothing more than slight discomfort so I can deal with it.

According to the doc I am doing great and am very brave. So there you go. I told him I have been rather emotional this week, and he said that is normal too. So that's good I guess. I am starting to feel much better I must say.

I have another Gonal-f pen to continue with the self-jabs over the week-end. I was on a high dose for 4 days (225) and then a lower dose (150) for the past 2 days, and now I am back on the 225 again.

I go back for another scan on Monday to see how they are doing, and then I'll find our when the retrieval will happen (i.e. the op to take them out - laprascopically with conscious sedation) but it will be either Wednesday or Thursday next week. I still need to figure out how to get the day off work, and I think it will have to be unpaid leave, because I don't think I can really claim to be 'sick' - can I?

So with burny/itchy butt checks I bid you farewell. Next update on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. How very interesting! Hope it all goes well during the next week. I didn't realise it would be so fast, not sure why? LOL!
    Would you do it again?
    I would ask the doc, he'd know about sick leave. I think you would get booked off because of the laparoscopy anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christel.

    Jeanette: No I won't be doing it again, this is a once off for me - mostly age related. But based on how it has been before I *would* do it again, I am just not going to... comprende? ;)

    As for the process we synchronise cycles over a month and then it's the regular 2 weeks to grow the eggs from period to ovulation! The meds are just to stimulate the ovaries to ripen many eggs (and in BOTH ovaries) rather than just one or 2.

    ReplyDelete