Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 12 September 2006

Busy, Ubuntu doing well and RichEd too and stuff

Been a bit busy for the past few days. Trying to learn how the entire Vodacom system works (I am working as Test Manager on the Billing Engine and peripherals, which touches basically everything!) in a week is blooming difficult. It doesn't help that what was once probably a reasonably simple system has grown rapidly and organically, and been patched and cobbled to keep pace with competitors to make it hugely intricate and complicated now. With over 18M transactions a day it is a mean beast. Plus basically it is required that any product request be furnished, and there's no scope for the IT guys to say, 'No sorry that's too hard/expensive/complicated', it just has to be done, and FAST.

But enough about that unless I get nabbed for divulging compnay confidential information. Just belive me when I say my head my explode soon. I am told this feeing os normal here, and may never pass. YAY.

I have been noticing Ubuntu getting more and more main stream press recently, including an article linked off the IOL front page today. It can be found here and it also links to an article based on an interview with Richard last week. Go Richard!

There is also a Forbes .com article about Mark Shuttleworth and Ubuntu. It is full of erroneous facts, but the gist of it is correct and it is fairly amusing, including a revelation that Mark 'tried out in early 2005 for the Donald Trump role on a South African version of The Apprentice'. which must have been during that same week I met him. I am not sure how well he would have been in the role though.

I gave my office mate a copy of Ubuntu (Kubuntu actually) on Friday, so I am still doing my bit for the cause, evangelising as I can. Unfortunately the Internet link here is very slow and restricted, as well as me being rather busy so I haven't been able to keep up with the community at all. *sniff* I miss the team so much, and love to hear good news in the press.

I also keep an eye on the Ubuntu planet, Fridge and the weekly newsletters.

On the car front I am still leaning towards the Fiat Panda. We have a consultant out from the UK with his Top Gear magazine and they rate it second only to the Honda Jazz (in the small car class) but that is MUCH more expensive. Richard is due to go for an independent test drive to see what he thinks, and then we'll decide. I am rather under-awed by the Getz, which was ok to drive but nothng special at all, and seemed rather pricey all things considered, plus the dealer is a pest. As oposed to the Fiat sales guy who could be considered rather charming and yummy, er I mean professional! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Suddenly I understand your hankering to go with the Fiat!

    LINDY! Are you reading this? She's FLIRTING with the Fiat guy! I would expect nothing less...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmh, everytime i think of Fiat i think UNO.......!
    What happened to Kia Picanto? And stop flirting with the Fiat guy, car sales men are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously try a Kia Piccanto and then the Panda. There's a world of a difference.

    I thought the Piccanto was cute, still do, but for comfort, styling and ease of driving the Panda wins paws down!

    Put it this way Piccanto has no power steering**, so it's a good bicep workout. The Panda can be driven with your little finger (even if it was broken). I have a Premier gym membership (and husband) for when I want to work out and get sweaty. TeeHee :)

    ** Or aircon or radio, or electric windows, or central locking, or rear windscreen wiper that's turns on automatically if you reverse with front windscreen wipers on, or lights that turn off when you leave them on... need I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that Fiat salesman must be hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Richard was taken for a ride by him too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh stop - the image of the three of you...erk! There CHILDREN reading this!

    ReplyDelete