Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Monday 11 January 2010

Natural High!

I have let my running slip over the last while. Ever since the Pinelands race at the end of October when I had my little emotional melt-down actually. Since then it's been all too easy to find a reason not to run.

It went something like this: I'm .

I used to wake up thinking about going for a run, and somewhere along the line that stopped. I was even starting to wonder if I was done with running. I have still been active, and have been going to gym, stretching, swimming, walking, playing etc, but the thought of actually RUNNING. Nah, that seemed like too much effort. It has also not been at all helped by the knee injury from the ice skating accident after Christmas....

I was running close to 40km per week for most of last year. Recently I was luck to get to 20 and even that would be mostly walking. Interesting I have actually lost about 4+ kilograms in the past 3 months or so, but as good as that sounds I suspect at least one of those is loss of muscle and tone, so it's not as great as it may sound.

Then on Saturday I got into a pissy mood. For no aparent reason. I couldn't explain it but I just felt 'mislik'. I apologised to all those near me and tried not to take it out on anyone else, but I could just feel a cloud over my head - Eeyore style. It was there yesterday too. Last night I grazed on carbs too which made me feel worse (classic PMS type stuff actually, although with the Mirena who knows if it is...?).

Anyway today I had a BUSY day at work, but when I was asked if I had run in a race this past week-end I started realising that I miss it. So although I was tired when I got home. I bit the bullet, changed and went for a run.

At first I wasn't sure that I was loving it and almost stopped to walk, but I had no reason to so I made myself carry on running. I managed to run all 4km to the gym, and it's been a while since I did that. Then instead of staying at the gym I decided to run a longer way home, and so did another 5-6km or so. I just ran gently at my pace and after a while I realised I was actually enjoying myself and feeling really good.

I really do actually LIKE running. I like being out there on my own, and dwelling on my own thoughts, listening to music, looking at the view. It's me time, exercise and therapy all in one.

I came back much more cheerful and feeling like myself again. My boys actually know I need to run and have previously suggested it when I was being cranky. ;)

Pity Chocolate doesn't have quite the same effect for me, it would be so much easier... But really running makes sense. It keeps me fit, sane, healthy, alive and cheerful.

"Everyone who has run knows that its most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring." ~ Jimmy Carter

“Running helps me stay on an even keel and in an optimistic frame of mind.” - Bill Clinton

"Running is one the best solutions to a clear mind. " - Sasha Azevedo

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run." -Monte Davis

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like running to get all the good endorphins going...I miss it,

    I used to run every day until two years ago when when of the discs in my back collapsed...so after surgery I was reduced to walking...now I walk at least 5km per day...usually on my treadmill.

    Don't stop now, it gets easier every day.

    ReplyDelete