Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Wednesday 18 July 2012

67 minutes

It is our nation's father Madiba's 94th birthday today.

I joined one of the '67 minutes for Mandela' campaigns for 'Mandela Day' to spend 67 minutes helping others.

I joined one of the 'care and share' initiatives at work.

It was heartbreaking and heart warming at the same time.

I bought supplies, chocolates, tooth paste, tooth brushes, face cloths, soaps and deodorants, which I donated.

We made emergency waterproof sleeping bags (for homeless people) out of news papers and plastic bags. Quite a clever idea actually!


And then we moved onto something much more heart wrenching. We had to make care packages for raped little girls (aged 4-12). 


These include: Clean panties :`( , tooth paste & toothbrush, soap & a face cloth, a box juice, a packet of crisps, a sweetie/chocolate, a teddy bear and a colouring-in book with crayons. This is packaged in a cardboard gift bag we decorated with paint and glitter etc - I painted bright flowers and polka dots. We then wrote comforting, supportive and encouraging hand written notes which we attached. This was the hard part! 

I am really glad I did it, but I really wish I didn't have to (i.e. that there wasn't a NEED for this kwim?) :( It has made me feel good and really sad and empathetic all at the same time.

So did you do your 67 minutes today??

No comments:

Post a Comment