Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Monday 6 November 2006

The talk

The following is a conversation we had in the car on the way home from gym this evening, we were discussing our trip to JHB this week-end and seeing several of the cousins.

Q:'Mommy what is Alastair to us?'
Me:'He is your cousin'
G from the back:'He is my cousin too'
Q:'Is he Jessica's cousin too?'
Me:'No not really because Jessica is Daddy's sister's child'
Me: 'Cousins are any children of YOUR mom and dad's brothers or sisters. So my brothers and sisters and daddy's brothers and sisters children are your cousins, but Daddy's brothers and sisters children are not Alastair's cousins, but his Daddy's brothers and sisters are.'
Q:'...oh...'
Me:'So your (you and Griffin's) children would be cousins, and you would be Griffin's children's uncle (more long convoluted explanations)'

Me: 'If you decide to have children'
Me: 'or even get married for that matter, because you don't *have* to'
Q: 'I don't think I am going to get married'.
Me:'why?'
Q: 'I don't know'
G: 'I am going to get married. I am going to marry Maxine!'
G: 'But I can't be silly. So I am not going to be silly, because she will only marry me if I am not silly'

Q: 'So do you decide to have children, the eggs things don't just start to grow?'
Me: 'No, when a girl gets to about 13, she should be much older but from when she is about 13 every month one of the eggs gets ready, and she has that bit of blood every month if the egg is not going to grow. That what the pads and tampon/sticks are for'
Q: 'So what makes it grow?'
Me: 'Well the daddy has to plant a seed in the egg'
Q: 'How?'
Me: 'Well they have to decide they want a baby and then they... well they have a thing called sex'
Q: 'Oh I know, all that *kissing* and stuff'
Me: 'Well yes, and that's normally when they are married and love each other a lot'.
Q: 'So did you and daddy have sex'
Me: 'Yes, we decided to have you and we did'
G pipes up from the back: 'I love Maxine and we are going to get married and I am going to have SEX with her'
Loud giggles all round.
Me: 'Right, so what are we having for dinner?'

Yikes!
Maybe I should have gone with the stork story!

1 comment:

  1. Major LAUGH OUT LOUD on this end! what a great way to start the day!!!
    Brilliant story!

    ReplyDelete