Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Thursday 28 December 2006

Birth Buddies is born

Well I have put together a site for my newly hatched doula service (birth companion) venture.

IT IS HERE!

Please take a look and give me feedback. Any comments or criticism or suggestions are very welcome.

If you know anyone in or around Cape Town that would like to hire a doula, call me!

Thanks!
______________________

What is a doula?
A birth doula is a trained labor support person who provides emotional and physical support to a laboring woman and her partner. While she is not a medical professional, she can offer a wide range of comfort measures during labor - from massage to aromatherapy to continuous reassurance and coping techniques.

Women supported by a doula during labor have been shown to have:

50% reduction of caesarean rate
25% shorter labor
60% reduction in epidural requests
30% reduction in analgesia use
40% reduction in forceps delivery

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you will be absolutely great in this field! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one friend is pregnant with her 2nd child and doesn't want to go for a cesearean again. I told her about the doula, she was very interested - pity she stays in Pta - to far from Cape Town!

    ReplyDelete