Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Friday 12 November 2010

So my ankle is totally broken!

So sadly it is not 'just a bad sprain' and my ankle is actually BROKEN.

This is how it looked this morning:
Image

Being almost a full 6 days later, I decided it was time to get my ankle seen to because it was just a bit too sore and swollen and bruised still for my liking. I decided I need to know the situation and at least to know if it is ok and will keep healing, or if I was going to need surgery or something and end up back to square one healing wise, in which case I didn't want to wait 3 weeks before finding that out.

So off I went. I had to have a doctor consult, because you can not just get an x-ray without one.

The nice doctor listened, looked and was not too concerned. He didn't think the swelling or bruising was excessive and after palpitating everything and me not reacting much besides letting him know where the pain was worst, he felt it was ok and that what I'd been doing was fine. He didn't suspect a break and actually hesitated to send me for an x-ray. In the end he decided it was a good idea to know for sure. So off I went.

Both doc and radiologist were really surprised to see the end of my fibula (or tibia??? which is the outer leg bone?) is completely snapped off.

I am luckily that it is a clean break and the bone is still in place and well aligned, and I am very lucky I had Ilse's crutches and brace and have stayed right off it and did keep it compressed and immobilised all week.

As it is, my treatment plan was fine and I did nothing 'wrong' but it the bone was not still nicely aligned my treatment would have been bad and if I had fallen on it and displaced the broken bone I would have needed it to be operated on and pinned back in place.

So all things considered I COULD have carried on as I was, but now I know I have to wait 4-6 weeks to heal and I have a cast on so it is all totally immobilised and stabilised.

No one can actually believe it is fully broken. My radiologist neighbour, ENT and GP friend have called to say they are REALLY surprised at the severity because of how I handled the pain and was able to still move it around etc.

But there you go my first broken bone ever, and the first in our whole family as far as I know!

Image

Image

You are welcome to point and laugh and say 'I told you so' every one else is! :P

1 comment: