Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Stylish eye for the fashion-retarded IT 'guy' - HELP

So it's my step sister's wedding in around 2 weeks, and I have suddenly woken up to the fact that that means I had better get my ass into gear and get organised. There is a LOT to do!

I need to buy the happy couple a gift AND sort out all the Christmas gifts for the Gauteng contingent. Not to mention arrange get togethers with all and sundry up yonder.

On that note: I will be available for guest appearances (I mean meets) on Sunday 13 Dec (after lunch or evening) and/or Monday 14 Dec (anytime). I'll be staying in Pretoria Eastern Suburbs, but can get to anywhere within reason in JHB/PTA area. So please help me plan a get together! I am happy to do whatever everyone else wants - and am more than happy to do a day-time with-kids get together and/or evening drinks/jol etc. Just let me know, and let's make it happen! I have no clue where y'all from up there live and what are good venues there anymore etc. (I moved in 1996 remember!)

Anyhoo, back to the point of this post. I also need to figure out all the 'girly' stuff. Dress, shoes, bag, hair, nails. All that crap! Crap which I am so not good at. It does not come naturally and I am not that fond of it at all. I wish someone could just style me, because I do not know how to shop, coordinate, accessorise or anything. I don't even like shopping or trying stuff on. I KNOW I am a terribly defective female in this regard. *shrug*

Anyway, so I am asking the great people of the Internets to HELP me with this arduous task. So great people of the Interwebz; I need something formal to wear. It is a late afternoon/evening black-tie dress code event - a Bryanston fancy church & Pretoria Country club.

I have managed to get myself into 2x shops for long enough to find and purchase the following (on condition that I have the option to take either or both back by the end of this week-end, once my gurus have spoken) 2 dresses and pair of snake-skin strappy sandals.

So here are my options. Don't forget to HELP! I am pretty clueless when it comes to fashion & style.

Option 1:

Stretchy silky fabric 'Helen of Troy' type dress with empire waist line in white, brown, black and snake-skin type print.

Image
(Excuse Griffin's crap photography)

Would this dress work for a formal evening wedding?
Do the shoes (also 'snake skin') match the dress?
Are either nice and/or do they suck?

Option 2:

Dusky blue knit dress from YDE with empire waist line and stain ties which can tie front or back...

Image

Note the choices of shoes:
White or black slip on sandals from my wardrobe, or the higher new 'snake skin' numbers, (or something else completely...?)
-----

Oh and I was thinking of wearing my hair UP, with a few strands hanging down to soften the look, would that work...? Or down and cut/blow dried etc...?

Any advice, suggestions or scathing criticism welcome! ;)

10 comments:

  1. gosh Jane, dresses look good on you.

    i like the first one the best. i think it's more jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second one!!!

    And I want to see you!!! I am also in PTA East - so will have to make a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First one!!!

    Btw - I am free on 13 Dec - let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first one! Looks fab :-)

    Enjoy the wedding and the get together and travel safely.

    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the first one best.

    I am free on 14 December (but have 2 out of 4 kids with me) - so happy to meet somewhere. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go for the first one...I would say black shoes.

    ...but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the second one..and it would look great with black or silver shoes and silver accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from Meriel's spot again.

    You are so pretty! I'm with Lynette though - the second dress is made for you and perfect for a black-tie event. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sjoe girl...you cant go wrong either way!

    I am usually annoyingly decisive but today...not so much! Both those dresses look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Love Love the blue dress! it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love Love the blue dress! it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete