Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Thursday 19 January 2017

Every night in our dreams...

I've said before that Quinn is not very openly expressive. But I know he is deeply emotional. He vents his emotions through art, movement, and communing with dogs and babies.

He has told me he has been dreaming of Natey, and he has also dreamed of being held under water himself... So I know he is grappling with feelings and memories.

He seems to enjoy music (I have a strong music-emotion connection). He had a recorder when he was in Grade 1, but never took it very seriously. He also got a flute from his granny. She had bought it for his dad, but his dad refused the gift. She gave it to Quinn. He quickly learned the basics on his own, but then sold it, to finance his other hobbies (long-boarding).

He recently took his recorder out, and gave it to Natey. So during December we got used to the sound of a record screeching through the house. Let's just say Natey was not an instant natural at it. Still everyone thought it was cute, and the screeching sound was well tolerated.

In the past few days I have been hearing Quinn playing that recorder down in his room. And it sounds pretty musical. I eventually asked him what he was doing. It turns out he is learning to play 'That song from Titanic'. I thought that was a bit random and even a bit funny* and out of character.

Until I took the time to listen, and then last night I actually went to listen to the song... and I realised that this is not random at all. I am not even sure it's completely conscious, but this is him, feeling, and expressing what is inside him... The music, lyrics, and even the movie it is from seem to be significant.




My Heart Will Go On

Every night in my dreams

I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on

Far across the distance

And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time

And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're one

Love was when I loved you

One true time I hold to
In my life we'll always go on

Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

There is some love that will not go away

You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

* Disclaimer I am not a Celine Dion fan, and have always thought this song was a bit schmaltzy

No comments:

Post a Comment